Friday, July 19, 2013

Going Carless

Who needs a car anyway? My neighborhood is ranked as "very walkable" with a walkability score of 75. Meaning most of the errands that I should need to run can be accomplished on foot. There shouldn't be much reason for needing a car.

So when my lease expired, I turned in my Jetta and started my journey as a person without a car.

Why? You might ask yourself. Several reasons:

  • I don't feel like I really need a car. I don't do that much driving and most of the driving I do can be serviced by other options. 
  • Cars are expensive, especially if you don't use it often. Who needs that expense? I have better things to spend my money on. Well that is the theory anyway. 
  • Maybe i can reduce my carbon footprint this way. 
There are other reasons, you may be able to think of, but those are the main ones for me.

How? You also might be asking. I plan to try to use these replacements, in this order.:

  • Walk
  • Bike
  • Bus
  • Carshare
    • Car2Go
    • Lyft
    • Sidecar
  • Motorcycle
I'm certainly not without options here. These are basically in order of cost, then how long it would take me. This is kind of an ideal preference, but lately it has been more like this: 
  • Motorcycle
  • Carshare
    • Lyft
    • Sidecar
    • Car2Go
  • Bus
It has been a week or so, a week of no rain (easier to ride) and not a lot going on, maybe my opinion will change as time goes on? I'll try to keep this blog updated regarding my progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment